Refiloe Seseane is the Founder of 18twenty8®. She attended St. Dominic’s Convent in Boksburg from Grade 1 to 12 and held several leadership positions throughout her schooling which she completed with distinction in English. She excelled at Drama and Public Speaking and received the school’s top accolades for both.
Refiloe majored in Economics and Finance in her BCom degree at the University of South Africa (UNISA) and graduated with distinction in Economics. She also holds a postgraduate (Honours) degree in Economics from UNISA and a certificate in Media and Marketing strategies for NGOs. She was the top graduate in the Management Advancement Programme at Wits Business School before completing a Postgraduate Certificate in Financial Economics at Cardiff University in Wales. Refiloe has also completed the Being a Director programme at the Institute of Directors Southern Africa.
Her financial services career includes roles at Allan Gray, BoE Private Clients (now Nedbank Private Wealth), EduLoan (now FUNDI), Allan Gray Orbis Foundation and Alexander Forbes. Refiloe’s on-screen pursuits include lead acting roles on South Africa’s top TV soapies: Generations, Rhythm City and The Wild. She is an accomplished voice-over artist (with regular radio campaigns on Primedia stations), a keynote speaker, events MC, actress and TV personality who has anchored business news on CNBC Africa.
Refiloe participated in U.S. First Lady Michelle Obama’s 2011 Young African Women Leaders’ Forum and U.S. President Barack Obama’s 2012 Young African Leaders’ Initiative. In 2013 she met HM Queen Elizabeth at a Reception for Youth, Education and the Commonwealth at Buckingham Palace. Her other achievements include:
- Board Member: Independent Schools’ Association of Southern Africa (ISASA) – Mathematics and English Board
- 2017 Honorary Member of the Golden Key International Honour Society, University of Pretoria Chapter
- Subject of a 2015 research paper on Gender, Race and Entrepreneurship at Colombia's Universidad Piloto de Colombia: Centro de Emprendimiento
- 2015 Panellist: Echoing Green All Fellows' Conference
- 2015 Panellist: Old Mutual Tomorrow's Leaders' Convention
- 2014 Elizabeth Arden Make a Visible Difference Award
- 2012 Spark Changemaker
- 2011 Mail & Guardian Top 200 Young South Africans
- 2011 Mail & Guardian Book of South African women
- 2011 Destiny Magazine Top 40 under 40
- 2010 Inyathelo Philanthropy Award
- 2010 CEO Magazine South Africa’s Most Influential Women Award
- 2010 Top three finalist in the Black Business Quarterly Awards